Hypergrowth scaling made simple
13:20 - 14:00, 25th of May (Thursday) 2023/ DEV ARCHITECTURE STAGE
Imagine that you are interviewed at the system design stage for a global banking institution. The request is to design a global system for a bank that needs to operate from the Americas to New Zealand. There is a very high chance that you solve this problem by using advanced technologies and patterns, and possibly over-engineer solution in the end.
In this presentation, we will present a counterintuitive approach, using a surprisingly simple architecture and patterns. You will never look at systems, not only at hypergrowth scale, the same way again.
Several concepts we touched on were:
- Over-engineering - how do we make complex systems complicated
- Systems thinking - complicated vs. complex
- System's level of complication and problems that derive from it
- How to make our systems (really) less complicated with examples of battle-proven Revolut's approach
- Dealing with complexity - combining DDD and Systems Thinking patterns
- Deferring decisions as a skill
- Hypergrowth scaling and legacy - patterns for dealing with it